From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 17:48:50 -0500
I also have 2 systems with Abit motherboards, 300MHz Celerons overclocked to
450Mhz.  I didn't have any problems with clean installs of Win 98, one
motherboard is the BH6 and one is the BX6 Rev. 2.  I also agree use the IDE
drivers from Win98, they have caused no problems for me, with 2 ATA hard
drives, cd-rom and internal zip drive.  Are your modem drivers installed
properly?  I believe PCI modems and some isa modems need the serial port
they are using disabled in the bios for them to install drivers properly.
This could be causing Win98 to try to install a PCI serial controller, and
not be able to find drivers, as the drivers come with the modem.  When the
modem is installed properly, Device Manager will not have a port for the
modem under "Ports(com & LPT)" it will be located under the modem
properties.

Mary Wolden

From: Ben Moore: Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] pci serial controller