Date:
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 17:46:00 -0400
Yes, I must agree fully with Jan about which, between the two, is generally
the better CPU.

ALL the articles and benchmarking scores I have seen clearly place the
present Celerons above the AMDK6-IIs. In fact, application benchmarking
usually reveals that the lower MHz Celeron scores better than even a
"higher" MHz AMDK6-II  ... one of the reasons they can sell Celerons for a
higher price than comparable AMD CPUs. I have never seen it reported
otherwise, personally. Celerons are especially preferable over their AMD
counterparts if the computer is being used for standard office applications.

Slot 7 design is reaching the end of its life, at this point, as far as
potential advancements.  think going Slot 1 is the better choice all around
as it will most likely have a longer future.

And, FYI:
There are actually two types of Celeron form factors available, NOT one -
the plastic pin grid array (P.P.G.A.)for the 370 pin socket motherboards,
and the popular (and the type I use for systems I build)single
 edge processor package (S.E.P.P.) for the slot 1 motherboards.

If you do go slot 1, my choice for motherboard based on reviews, specs, and
3 systems I have made during the past month, is MicroStar's 6163 Version 2
BX Chip board.

Regards,

Deirdre Wall