From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:43:47 -0800
On 9 Feb 99, at 7:42, M W Johnston wrote:

> What can I do about a noisy power supply fan -- repair fan...replace fan
> ...replace power supply?

  This is probably a fan bearing nearing the end of its lifetime.

> I have no problem opening the case and doing what is needed.  I just
> want to know what is recommended.

  The *safe* approach is to replace the power supply, especially if the
fan has actually failed.  A lot of ordinary mortals, though, report
surviving the experience of opening up the power supply and replacing
the fan.

> Also, I'd appreciate any suggestions about where to buy good, quiet
> fans for power supplies if that is the route to go. Thanks.

Variables:
  voltage
    The PS brings in ~120vAC, and provides 5vDC and 12vDC.  Case fans
are normally 12vDC, but a PS fan might run off the AC supply!

  size
    Obviously, the replacement fan has to fit in the space being
vacated.  Check "thickness" as well as square faces.

  bearings
    Sleeve bearings die much faster than ball bearings.  You can pretty
much assume that the stock fan in a cheap PS uses sleeve bearings; your
replacements will last longer if they use ball bearings instead.

  "Toyo" is a good brand -- I think I recall them being at
www.toyofan.com

David G