From:
Ray Reyes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 May 1998 06:40:18 -0700
At 07:51 PM 5/24/98 -0400, Earl Douglass wrote:
>   <snip>
>
>....Another interesting note here: When I connected to Mindspring before they
>upgraded to V.90, my connect speed would always read 53300, with the average
>file download speed being approximately 5.7K to 5.9Kbs. I am now connecting
>at 50666 and the average download speed (using System Monitor) still shows
>between 5.7K and 5.9K. Hmmmm, I wonder if USR kinda overestimated the
>connection speed for their X2 protocol modems!

The connect speed value returned by the modem when you initially connect is
pretty much meaningless because of the way they adapt to line conditions.
In addition, other factors will affect transfer speed -- the load on your
ISP's servers, compression, modem-to-modem error correction (which you
never see), etc.  When I connect to ibm.net using a v.90 USR Sportster,  I
get a connect speed of 48000; however it almost immediately ramps up from
there so the effective transfer speed is in the mid-50K's. If you install
the program NetMedic you'll see what I mean.  NetMedic will show moment by
moment changes due to the factors I mentioned above during a session.

ray reyes

ICQ 8603107

"Whaddya mean I'm on hold?  I thought I was online!!"