From:
Sami Garzon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 08:46:13 +0200
Hi. Sorry, I did not update you with my adventures and misadventures
installing this new HD. Here's a short resume.

First, a look at my system.
__CPU = Intel 166Mhz
__BIOS = AMI, dated 7/15/95, PnP, Flashable
__MoBo = Model F, SubModel 01, Revision 00; from Hsing Tech Enterprise,
chipset VT801x
__Controller Name = NEC 765
__HDDs = 1 HD of 2.5Gg (now the main); 1 HD of 10.2 recognized as 8Gg.
__RAM = 48

QJ wrote that I need to tell you "what's the bios version of your computer”.
Well, I have learnt from DIAG that my BIOS is an AMI (flashable) from 1995,
unknown version. I have looked the AMIBIOS Identification Strings process,
and for my surprise, I did not get the string that appears on the method.
That way, I still do not know my BIOS version, only that it's pretty old.

Dave Gillet wrote that "Sorry -- I expect that both the 10.2GB and 14.4GB
drives are likely to be seen, if you're lucky, as 8GB by your system”. He
was right. I have a 8Gg HD, although my drive has 10.2 capacity.

I received a lot of help and advice from Nick Herbers. Thank You, Nick. I
took the HD and installed it in as slave. Then I turned the computer on, and
asked for the BIOS to look for my new HD, the BIOS found it, but reported it
as an 8Gg one.
I thought "I can work with 8Gg by now. This way, when I Update the
Mobo/BIOS/Processor, I'll already have a 10.2Gg”, but this turned out to be
wrong. Everything seems to say that I will need to wipe the disk. By QJ, I
can try "either 3rd party software or hack the boot sector/partition table”.
I think 3rd party software is safer and easier.

I fdisked the HD, and wanted to install twice the WIN98 (but this is another
post... :), and install Linux. I am waiting to see if I will find the System
Commander, as it seems that he is the best choice.

Thanks for your precious help.

Now one of the questions that arose is, can the wipe process damage the
drive?

Thanks;
    Sami Garzon :)

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's: