Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 13:43:58 -0500
Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay wrote:
  <snipped>
> Digital meters tend to be more precise than analog.

Perhaps I'm just in a nit-picky mood or just want to argue but
I disagree. Analog meters are just as precise as digital, if not more so.

I learned the electronics trade on the old Simpson 260 analog multimeter.
I have used both digital and analog and can see where digital has its
advantages, but in electronics troubleshooting, analog is better because
you can watch the changing value. With digital, you watch the numbers change
too fast to follow, or too slow (sample rate) to know what's happening.

Watching the needle move in exact time with the measured voltage is
a better troubleshooting aid than simply reading an end result, in some
situations.

Better digital meters have bar-graph indicators which simulate the
needle movement of analog meters but the slow sample rate still screws
up the exact measurement.

Digital meters are for electricians and hobbyists. Analog meters are
for technicians who seek precise measurements.

Standing by for the flames,
Larry Hooper

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org