From:
Joel BLuming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 1998 21:15:14 -0500
Dear Listers,

I tried this once before with no reply, so I'll try once more

I am setting up a system for a small professional office. I'm using
windows 95 on 486 and pentium computers. The server is a pentium 233MMX
on a DFI motherboard (not sure of the board number right now) The speed
of the computer is not of much importance, as the demands are low. I am
using a DOS version of DATAFLEX (Data Access) which is a 4gl DBMS
language. I wrote it years ago and it works fine.

The number of clients is about 2000 and the database files are small. I
want to access the records from the server or from a remote location by
dialup networking. I have everything in place and it works quite nicely.
I assign a drive letter to a drive on the server and set the datafiles to
that drive letter. I'm not controlling the server from the dialup, only
accessing it's files. OK no problem.

Here is the question. What devices can I use to keep ther server alive. I
know I can leave the server on 24/7. I would rather not be running 24/7.
I have UPSs everywhere. The problem here is that if the server freezes I
can't restart it. This happened once. I know there are devices that let
you call in and start the server. Do they work? which one is best.

Is there something that will shut off the power if the server freezes, so
it can be restarted?

Thanks all

Joel Bluming
ICQ #5875120