From:
Eric Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Dec 1998 14:03:47 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Leung <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask] <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Thursday, December 17, 1998 1:09 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Connect 2 computer network to @Home cable service

>I'm at the planning stage to connect a 2 computer network to the @Home
>cable Internet service. The network is a peer to peer , Win9X running
>TCP/IP, cross RJ45 cable without hubs. I think I can add another NIC to
>one of the unit and then connect to the cable modem, that unit will run
>Wingate or something similar. Is this a workable setup? please comment,
>thanks.
>
>Dan

Yes, this will work just fine.  Personally, I use a proxy server called
Sygate, which IMO is easier to set up than Wingate, but that's a matter of
personal preference.

I have always had minor problems getting the second NIC to work in a Windows
9X machine.  It *will* work eventually though so don't give up.  I can't
give you specifics because I have had different problems every time.  Things
like IRQ settings and IP addresses come to mind.  Invest in a good
top-quality PCI PnP card to make things as smooth as possible.

It will be worth it when it's all done.

Good Luck.