From:
Ken Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 May 1999 12:01:11 -0700
    Hi, Gordon.  Win98 should recognize the Panasonic CR562-B drive, but
won't if the sound card does not have the proprietary interface enabled
"prior" to booting Win98.  Make sure you have the sound card drivers for the
card installed in "DOS mode" (CONFIG.SYS / AUTOEXEC.BAT), so it will enable
the interface before Windows loads.

    The Panasonic website has the latest driver info for the CR562-B drive
for Windows 95 (and 98?), so you may want to download it.

    In regards to your 486 "SX"... you should seriously consider upgrading
to a Pentium class MB, for at least 2 reasons:  1.) Windows 98 will like it
much better (faster), 2.) It is highly unlikely that "SX" board is Y2K
compliant.  I can buy a "brand new" Pentium class (AT) board, capable of
handling a 90 - 233 mhz processor - for only $55.00!  That's retail price,
not dealer.  It may not be the most recommended board, but almost anyone
would recommend it over keeping any 486 MB.  I'm sure there's someone here
who may even have an older Pentium class board - with CPU - they'd be
willing to sell for a good price!

    Assuming you are allowed to ask about "buying" one on the list, make
sure you request the replies to be made private, so as not to clutter the
list server.

    - Ken

Computer Advantage Technologies
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]