From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 08:36:35 -0500
This will work.  You only need a different IRQ for the 2nd card. In
addition, WIN NT will experience a small performance gain if you locate high
usage directories, system32, and the paging file to different scsi
controllers.  However, I urge you to consider selling your equipment at
auction, and buying a new scsi 160 series controller and drives.  While you
can't buy 5 new drives on your budget, one will probably have more storage
than you are anticipating getting out of all your proliant drives, and
modern mtbf should permit some skimping on redundancy for the time being.
This gives a much improved upgrade path than the external units, and
although you aren't asking for performance, you will get a boost anyway.
All my users noticed when I moved my oldest file server from fast/wide
Seagates (20 meg bus, 5400 and 7200 rpm) to the newest scsi standards IBMs
(160 meg bus, 10,000 rpm).  While application and transaction servers all
use raid, my file servers only do as budget permits.  I appreciate you may
not want to accept that risk if you are using raid now.
Tom Turak