From:
Dennis Noble <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 18:59:57 PST
>My advice to anyone is to stay away from Winmodems.  The only reason to
>actually buy one is because they are cheap.....not for reliability.
>
>Personally, I don't buy anything but U.S. Robotics for my own use.  I
>have had customers request cheaper (price AND quality) and they usually
>have problems....even though I warn them.

>> HI
>> I am currently considering buying a Amquest Hypermodem to replace my
old
>> Etech.  Amquest used to be a top rated modem, but then was sold to
KDS.  I
>> find the  allure of being able to buy a internal data/voice/fax/svd
for
>> thirty dollars too hard to resist, unless I get some negative
feedback here
>> from this post re Amquest.  One thing that makes this a easier
decision, is
>> the simple, easy to follow information on the Amquest web site, re
drivers,
>> installation, etc.   PCWorld had a Amquest modem in its top ten list
for
>> February, and when I consider lifetime warranty, and toll free
support,

I currently use and install Purtek modems almost exclusively and very
rarely have any problems with them. Most of the problems that I have had
were because they were installed on systems that did not meet the
minimum requirements of that particular modem model. I have used other
"name brand" modems and did not notice that they were any more reliable
than the Purtek units. I am also pretty sure that USRobotics was one of
the first companies to offer winmodems and that most of their current
modems are winmodems.

Dennis Noble
www.computersalacarte.com