Date:
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 20:21:31 -0800
Alan smith wrote:
>I'm trying to fix a computer for a senior
>I get a screen with a big HEWLETT PACKARD logo
>Does anyone know how I can get rid of that screen ??

I'm sorry to report that you can't do that unless you have a program to
reprogram the BIOS. What this person has is what is known as a branded
machine. In this case, HP has programmed the BIOS to show their LOGO and
information and that is the way it is.

>It would not take a boot floppy or CD to put in
>WIN98SE.

I'm not sure what this means. When a major manufacturer builds a machine,
they design it in such a way that they will have few complaints. It is a one
size fits all system. It may come with a recovery disk and it may not. From
my experience with HP, there is a partition on the drive with all of the
relevant factors relating to the complete system. If the unit is shipped
without a support disk, there are instructions on how to make them or you
may have to pay to get them. If something goes wrong, you will have to start
from the beginning. What this means is, if you are having problems, have fed
the machine something it didn't like, you are forced to go back to the
beginning when you first received the machine. You loose everything in the
process.

You can't change operating systems successfully. There are times the
manufacturer will use the keyboard to control the volume, internet
connection and such. The list goes on. I have tried in vain on some systems
mostly HP where if the client purchased a complete package, you are more or
less locked into what you have in the system. There is little room to
upgrade or change what is there.

Sincerely,

Frank Suszka
netTek Computers

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL