From:
Bruce Lund <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 03:55:34 -0700
OK, for those that have been watching, I just did an XP Home restore on my eMachines D2880.
Computer was purchased new over 5 years ago.I paid to have a new mother board installed about a year ago.I did a system restore last week due to a system error.I spent a couple hours last night trying to (re)activate the operating system online, then on the phone with Microsoft and then, after they told me it was a bulk license number and I would have to resolve with the manufacturer,I did an online chat with eMachines who told me that, because I replaced the mother board, I would have to buy a new license at retail, which I don't think is even possible at this point, even though the concept that a mother board failing (and later system restore) triggers the necessity of buying a new license just seems wrong in oh so many ways.So, who do I pressure on this (and how)? Microsoft? eMachines? The outfit that installed the mother board? If it is the local outfit that did the mother board a year ago, I can camp out on their door step although that would be
 uncomfortable since they never got the system right after the mobo replacement. But if this should be handled by Microsoft or eMachines, how do I get past their un-empowered employees who I believe are on the other side of the world and/or their faceless chat agents?

Needless to say, this is incredibly aggravating after the hours (and counting) I took to restore the system in the first place. So where do I apply the pressure, besides the "What's Your Problem?" column at the Chicago Tribune?

Bruce

                         support at our website:
                          http://freepctech.com