From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:46:51 -0300
Everyone else here has made some very valid points, but there is one problem
I have  seen with Windows 9X computers.  Internet Explorer sometimes looses
controll over the Temporary Internet files so the end result is you have
sometimes Gigabytes of wasted space.  After using the Internet settings to
clear all your temporary files, take a look at C:\Windows\Temporary Internet
Files (or wherever your foldes is...  mine is  on another hard drive) and
see how many subdirectories there are.  4 is normal, if more....I have seen
25 and up full of old temp files!  Delete them all and defrag to recover all
your space.  I´m sure this tip will help.  One other thing, using memory
tools (memcache?) is very controversial, some say they use more memory than
they report to save, some programs come with spyware and targeted
advertising.  For what it`s worth, I have never seen a memory optimization
program really do what it claims to do and I advise staying  away from them
and buying more memory at the store.
Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE:  Date:    Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:30:23 +1200
From:    Paul Jordan <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Slow computer

Hi

I am having real problems with my computer. It's got 64 mb ram, Cyrix P200+
chip plus a 33.6 k modem (internal). 40 gig hdd Seagate I think.

This beast has got slower and slower over the last few months. Most
especially noticeable on the net. The hdd keeps thrashing and while it is
doing that nothing else happens. Web pages won't load, applications won't
open, mouse basically freezes or jerks across the screen. Have tried
memcache but no appreciable difference. When first started it generally
shows 11.9 mbytes free ram, Paging file useage 95.5 mbyte. When going
through the options in memcache it shows (average) physical memory free 10/
physical memory usage 52/ user resources free 42/ GDI resources free 64.
Have used memcache wizards to try to get a good optimum but no luck. I
really think my problems lie in the hdd thrashing so much and don't know how
to stop it. Any ideas here please?

ta muchly

Paul

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: