From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:55:46 -0500
Alan,

If the 20KT46AUS BIOS is the one that you just installed, it looks like it
is a valid BIOS for your system.  I found this page on the IBM site that
provides BIOS updates (as well as older versions) for the NetVista 6792
computer.

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-39699

My understanding is that the computer completes the BIOS/POST startup
sequence, but it fails to see the Floppy Drive so that you can boot off of
it.  Does it see any other drives, such as a hard drive and/or a CD-ROM?

It's possible that your floppy drive died, coincidentally or that it became
disconnected, if you were in there swapping out hard drives.  If you have a
hard drive with a OS installed for this system or even a bootable CD-ROM to
try, I would see if you can boot from these devices before assuming that you
have a failed BIOS update.  The fact that you can enter Setup leads me to
think that the you likely have a properly installed BIOS update.  (If there
is a setup option for something like Set Defaults or Set Optimal Settings,
you might try that.  The relatively limited options that most pre-built
computers offer may not include anything like that.)

Even if you want to reflash your BIOS to a previous version, you'll still
need to be able to boot the computer off of some drive or another.  (It
looks like IBM offers BIOS updates in different flavers, including image
files for burning to a CD and a version that can be run from the operating
system, as well as the standard bootable floppy update.  I would stick to
either the Floppy or the CD-ROM version, myself.)

The user guide for this system, on page 61, lists a procedure for recovering
from a failed BIOS update, if nothing else seems to work.  However, I would
make sure that a known working floppy can't be recognized in your system
before I attempted this as a kind of last resort, and again, you still need
to be able to boot from either your floppy or your CD-ROM in order to
complete the process.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/netvista/25p4024.pdf

I hope some of this information is useful.  Get back to us with more
information and any further questions, if this leaves things unaddressed.

John Sproule