From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Feb 2007 11:04:07 -0800
The boot drive must always be the first Primary partition of the
first drive, and that drive is C. A and B are reserved for floppy
type drives at POST, although B can be whatever you wish it to be,
once you get into Windows but not during POST.

However, the operating system can be on any partition you wish, and
that is what you have described here. A windows Boot drive has very
few files actually visible on it, but is designated within the Master
Boot Record of the drive as the boot drive. The boot drive will point
to the location of the operating system.

So, the boot drive is always on C, BUT the operating system can
reside wherever you want.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

At 11:43 PM 2/15/2007, you wrote:
>I am dual booting to Win2K and/or XP. As I am slowly migrating my
>apps to XP, I am finding no compelling reason to keep Win2K, which
>is installed on drive C (primary master). Am I looking for trouble
>booting from a drive other than C (F, in this case, secondary
>master) indefinitely? After 25 years of almost mandatory C:\ for the
>OS (and many pushy programs that insist on being installed on C:) I
>feel uneasy about changing my PC's ways. Am I worrying for no reason?
>TIA
>Andrew

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com