Date:
Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:42:18 -0500
Hi David,

With a dial-up connection the difference in the speeds you're getting is
negligible and is about average. 46 Kbps is good. You'll never attain the 56
Kbps limit of the modem.

There are many factors that come into play when you talk about speed of
surfing the Web. Things like bandwidth and the amount of traffic to a
particular site, the design of the site itself, the time of day, etc., all
come into the picture. Even with a broadband connection you can experience
the same thing, but to a lesser degree.

Many ISPs now offer a "High Speed" dial-up surfing experience, for a slight
fee, of course. All it amounts to is compressed graphics, etc. on a Web site
so it loads faster. There is no increase in your connection speed. The fine
print should say something to the effect: "... it does not increase the
transmission speed of files or attachments, including music or video".

I hope this has been informative...

Sven Swanson, Sr.