From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Apr 2002 10:07:43 -0400
Try removing the CD-ROM in device manager, doing a restart, and let Windows reinstall it.  If it worked fine yesterday, then came up with the described problem the next day, some file got corrupted (hopefully that's all it is).  Check the manual that came with the drive to see if "secondary master" is correct when the drive is a solo on the secondary channel.  Seems to me there is another setting when the drive is a solo. In fact, you might want to do this before you uninstall it.

>I have an ASUS CD-Rom ( S500/a 50x ) running in my Pentium
>166 with Win98 SE that has worked well since I bought it
>last month. Since yesterday however, whenever I try to
>access it, the screen simply freezes. Not even Ctrl-Alt-Del
>helps to free the cursor. The drive shows up during POST
>and in Windows Device Manager and there's no
>yellow "?" against the entry. I have checked all the
>connections and they're OK. The CD is on its own cable as
>Secondary Master. The light flickers when I click
>on e:\ ( my CD drive ), then remains on and the screen
>freezes. Funny thing is, I can hear it spinning.
>Can someone help? Thanks.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml