From:
Annette Robart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 10:56:38 -0400
I built a computer, not my first, but the first time I attempted to actually copy my existing hard drive to a new computer.  I may have done this backwards. I took the new hard drive and attached it to my existing computer and partitioned it and did the format, then copied my existing hard drive to the new one.  I then attached the new drive to the new computer. Did not plug in anything non essential (sound cards, modems, etc) I wanted to make sure everything else was running first. The initial boot up seemed to go fine, the hard drive and cd-rom were recognized in the BIOS, and Windows detected the new devices. BUT, I could never get it to start again. It gets to the point where it says starting Windows 98 and just hangs there.  It will go into safe mode, and when I go to the performance tab in the properties of My Computer, I get:
File System:  Some drivers are using MS-DOS compatibility
Virtual Memory: MS-DOS Compatibility mode
Select an item and click for details for more info:
There are 3 items listed:
Compatibility-mode paging reduces overall system performance
Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system
When I click for more details it says something about Dos drivers in the config.sys or autoexec.bat files. I checked those and the only thing in them were statements about the cd-rom. I put REM in front of those, just on the off chance it was that, but it made no difference.
At this point I am just lost!!  Does anyone have any ideas????

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html