From:
Alan Priol <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Nov 2001 15:18:59 +1100
Thanks Kyle, the hard drive has now had a massive failure with bad
sectors in abundance. This drive is only 1 year old and is the first one
to fail on me. Good thing there is a 3 year warranty from Maxtor on it.
Now all I have to do is convince them the fault was in the hard drive
and not my use of it.

Cheers,
Alan Priol.

It could be HD failure.  I've had Seagate drives (particularly the 8GB
ones)
that would have problems with the spindles, and wouldn't spin the first
time
they were turned on.  If I turned the system on and whacked them real
hard
on the top at the same time they powered up, the spindle would un-stick
and
it would run.  The days were numbered on them, though, and I quickly
copied
the data off and put them in file 13.  I learned from the first one, the
hard way, that they were due for failure.

If the primary drive is not detected, chances are the secondary one will
not
be either, because it is jumpered as a slave and not a master, and no
master
was found.  That "could" be why you're not seeing the second drive.

The other possibility is that the IDE port is going bad.  The simple and
cheap way to test this is add a PCI IDE controller and boot off of it.
If
the problem goes away, you know that was the problem, and the fix is
already
in the machine.  If not, you are only out about $20, and they're handy
have around anyway, just in case you want to stick a few more drives in
system and are out of IDE ports.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade
Distinct Computer Solutions
Sales - Upgrades - Training - Consulting
"A closed mouth gathers no foot"

> During the last three days when booting up the computer on several
> occasions has failed to detect the two hard drives and of cause
> displayed the message "HARD DRIVE FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK etc".
> Shutting down and waiting a few minutes I would get a successful
> startup. Am I looking at a possible Hard disk failure? The cables were
etc.
> Alan Priol

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml