From:
Brad Feuerhelm <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 11:52:05 -0400
Hi Joyce

One of two things it could be.

1. If you get this error connecting to AOL, then it's an AOL  problem.
2. If  you get this error everytime and not when connecting to AOL
then it's a very good chance your modem is trash.

If it's AOL give their cust. Svc. a call (good luck!).
Otherwise you probably got a surge in the phone line during the
storm. Assuming by your problem the computer is working fine so you
lucked out and didn't fry anything else like the motherboard.

If you don't have a good surge protector you might consider getting
one. Most good surge protectors these days come with phone line surge
protection.

Also it's a good idea during any lighting/thunderstorms you should
shutdown the computer and pull the plug/plugs out of the wall plug or
even the surge protector.
This will almost 100% keep you from trashing your computer if you get
a strike or a real close one.

Brad Feuerhelm