From:
Ken & Barbie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 10:02:41 -0400
>original post June,99
>Hello, I have recently put together a new system.>Consist of the
following:>Abit 55T31 oem socket 7 mainboard (ebay special)>ATI xpert 98
8mg video card>64mb pc100 ram>WD 8.4gig ide drive>Intel 233mmx>Win
98>>My problem is that when the system begins to load windows, the
>computer hangs, the drive light begins to flicker and the system>stops
without config.sys & autoexec.bat,>removed video drivers but still have
the same problem.>>

This was my original problem I had posted last month, I thought the cpu or motherboard was the problem. I just figured I would share the solution with
the list and perhaps save others who are new to building computers the
troubles that I had.
Turns out, the WDdrive I purchased, supports the new UDMA66mbps
transfer rate, that I knew, however I was not aware that these newer
drives come set at this rate from the factory. The board I am using
only supports UDMA33mbps. Thats where my bottleneck came in.
In order to disable this feature, I needed to download a utility off
the WDig. web site that allows you to enable and disable the higher
transfer rate. I'm sure this program is included in the retail version
of the product, however I purchased the oem version which basically
came with no documentation.
I hope this info. will help someone in the future
Thanks for all the help,
Ken Cornell