Date:
Mon, 9 Dec 2002 23:54:20 +1100
How did this problem happened?  Can you give a bit more backgroud?

I (and few other friends) had similar strange problem.  What we had was that
after a period of run time (without shutdown/reboot), our win2k system
wouldn't read CD, unless a reboot was made.  the none-stop run time could be
few days, or just little more than 24 hours.  We couldn't find any reason
for it (we've tried everything, and finaly realize it was hopeless and waste
time), as everyone has different system, and doing different things.  Now we
don't have this problem anymore, but I had a major upgrade
(mobo+cpu+ram+HDD) so I formatted and reinstalled win2k, my friends did have
upgrade (mobo) too or formatted HDD for the result of going from win2k to XP
pro and back (downgrade under XP).
*Any major upgrade (change mobo), we'd do a full format and clean install of
OS.

It seems to me, is something to do with windows itself.  Bill Gates may have
better idea (even I highly doubt it), but if nothing works, you may need to
consider a format.  with good backup, the format is much less painful and
possible the best way to solve problems sometime.

Jun Qian