From:
Kevin Neal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 18:37:39 +1200
> I've decided it's time to build a Athlon system.  I've been to a number a
> sites including the pcpower........... site and read the speel about the
> necessity for quality power supply + case, however I'm not planning to build
> a power computer rather one for "family" use.  Today Best Buy Has a 300W
> Antec case for sale for $60.  The pcpower.............. equivalent at 300W
> is ~$130.  Is the Antec setup that much worse for what I plan to do?   I
> don't mind spending the extra $70 if it really buys me stability vs. hype.

Bob,
As this is my first build, I bought an 'el cheapo' case figuring that any 300W
case will do.

Two small problems emerged;
The first was that there was minimal correlation with the risers between case
and mobo, -
enough, but lacking proper support around the CPU/Heatsink/Fan, - the heaviest
part.
(Of course the only answer to this is to buy the mobo first, and take a tracing
of the riser points)

The second was to do with airflow, I would have liked to eventually been able to
install an exhaust fan at top rear to cope with the heat of future upgrades.

Another minor point is that some mobo's support temperature/ fan speed
monitoring.
Probably not important for a family system, but if you're looking to upgrade in
the future, then the presence of a thermal sensor in the power supply might be
an indication of build quality.

Kevin,
New Zealand.

                     visit our download web page at: