Date:
Fri, 4 Dec 1998 02:32:38 +0200
A strange thing.

I have an external SCSI CD-R (Panasonic CW-7502B) which is connected to an
Adaptec 2940AU SCSI controller.

I also have an internal CD-ROM (Panasonic CR-588B)

* If I physically connected the CD-R and SCSI card but the CD-ROM is
  disconnected: the CD-R will be recognized correctly and will work fine.
  (Both on DOS and on Win95)

* If I disconnect the SCSI controller (and thus the CD-R) but connect the
  CD-ROM, the CD-ROM will be recognized correctly and will work without
  problems. (both on DOS and on Win95)

* If I connect the SCSI adapter (PCI), and the CD-ROM (to the IDE2)
  I will get a letter for the CD-ROM and if I try to access the CD-ROM it
  will work but I shall always get that the CD-ROM drive does not have a
  valid media. Also when looking at the drivers, the driver is claimed to
  be loaded but to be attached to any drive. On DOS the drive letter will
  not be assigned.

* If I will also connect the CD-R, it will not be recognized by Win95 or
  DOS, and no assigned letter, the CD-ROM as before will have an assigned
  letter, but will not be assigned to the correct loaded Driver, and will
  claim an empty drive. (The driver is loaded but claim that there is no
  physical drive attached to it, or that it is an incorrect driver
  (although it works fine if the SCSI controller is disconnected).

* In all cases the PnP BIOS recognizes the SCSI adapter, the CD-R and
  the CD-ROM (when connected) correctly.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Uzi