From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:47:08 -0400
I thought the mention of 'registered' ram in your post was important.  The
following was cut from the Kingston.com website.

256MB Unbuffered Technology

Some memory module designs (usually those involving large numbers of chips)
require a device to re-drive or amplify the signals. On EDO modules this
device is called a buffer; on synchronous modules this device is called a
register.

Upgrades using Current Technology

Current system boards using Intel's BX chipset support 32, 64 and 128 MB
unbuffered modules and 256MB registered AND unbuffered modules.
Technology Definitions

Unbuffered/Buffered
Unbuffered/Buffered-Terminology used when referring to EDO modules
Unbuffered/Registered-Terminology used when referring to SDRAM modules

Unbuffered and registered modules cannot be mixed, so when a customer wants
to upgrade using a 256MB registered module they must remove all lower
capacity unbuffered modules. Buffered and Registered devices do virtually
the same thing.
You should return the 256 meg ram for an unbuffered sdram if one is
available, since it would seem your board  cannot mix registered and
unbuffered ram.  Although Kingston mentions only the BX chipset by name, I
suspect this is an example of a webpage that is old and only partially
updated, refering to the latest memory technology but not bothering to
reference the latest chipset technology.  Until I had counter-evidence I
would assume it applied to newer chipsets too, and not just BX chipsets.
Tom Turak