From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 22:49:38 -0500
From: Drew Watson <Subject: [PCBUILD] Primary IDE controller?!?!?!?!

>     Ok, just recently (although i have had a new 27 gig MAXTOR UDMA drive
for
> about a month) win98 has started reporting a "yellow question mark" in
DEVICE
> MANAGER for my Primary IDE controller.  WHAT THE?!?!?!?  It claims that is
> has been dynamically disabled.  This is becoming a recurrent problem.  I
just
> overlayed win98 yesterday because of the same problem and it was fixed for
24
> hours, but then it started again.  If i overlay win98, it corrects
theproblem
> for awhile.  is there any possibility that this problem is spurned by a
piece
> of software?  What on EARTH COULD THIS BE?  The tech at Best Buy checked
out
> my hardware and the diagnostic determined everything on the motherboard to
be
> A-OK.  Please help if you can.  -Drew Watson

It would be helpful if you would supply a little more information, such as
Computer make and Model, is the 27 gig Maxtor on the primary channel, is it
being recognized properly by the Bios, did this problem start right after
the drive was installed, is there a drive overlay program for the bios to
recognize the drive, etc.  You say it is fixed for 24 hours and then
reoccurs, does it reoccur after shutting down consistently or while you are
using the computer?  I am sure if you can supply more information it will be
easier to trouble shoot this problem.

Mary Wolden

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org