From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:15:34 +1000
David wrote:
>i found  thie following resource( though it sounds a bit nefarious) on
>simtel.net.  It is called "Password Spyer 2k 2.0">>

I had a look at that.  It refers to finding the passwords behind a set of ****.

In most cases you are simply faced with a blank in which you must type in
the password. Would these programs be any use in such cases?  I don't think
one would want to purchase a program with such limited use.  I think its
only purpose is to reveal passwords already "typed" (though not visible) in
the dialogue window so that you can save them for future use.  But it
doesn't seem to me, without having used the program, that it is going to
help the reader who has lost his password and is presumably faced with a
blank dialogue box.

Is my assumption correct?  As there are a number of the "password
revealers" around, it would be interesting to know, as I assume they all
work on the same principal.  There may be some which will search your
system for stored passwords, but I assume you'd first have to get into
Windows in order to run them.  Possibly this could be done via BartPE
emergency disk.

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com