From:
Steve Collins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:12:06 -0400
>Hey All,
>Steve, your step-by-step is simply awesome. Wow. I'm interested in a
couple of comments:

>1. Too much memory in Win 9x. It's always seemed to me that Windows 9x
doesn't really know how >to deal with memory above 128 megs. More memory
seems to mean worse memory management. Is this >what you're referring
to?

Yup.  That and, of course, bad memory.  But the "glass ceiling" in Win9x
is not publicized and customers many times don't draw a direct
connection between those memory upgrades that they just did and Win9x's
sudden escalation in temperament.  It's always a shock to them when a
problem is cured by removing memory.  Needles to say, their already low
esteem for Bill goes down a further few notches and you end up being the
sympathetic ear that reflects the frustration of the free world with
Micro$oft's approach to customer satisfaction.  Few people actually need
more than 256Mb anyway.  For those that do, we upgrade them to Win2k.
We've been running a graphics workstation here and ran a little
experiment. The workstation is running Win2k and has 1.2Gb of memory and
almost every graphics toy that you can think of.  So we opened them all
(all of Adobe's and Corel's applications, 3D Studio Max, Rhino3d,
Animation:Master, all of Macromedia's applications, and on and on and
on).  Not once did we even come close to 512Mb.  Gobs of memory is
suited to clustered servers that share memory and not single desktops.
If anyone has actually exceeded 512Mb on a single desktop, I'd LOVE to
hear about it and how they did it!  Our tests were on a "why don't we
try this" spree and are not extensive by any means.

>2. Thanks for the tip about Sandra. What about other tools? We should
start a thread along >these lines. :-)

We love MadOnion's stuff (http://www.madonion.com) for doing system
comparisons (especially 3D benchmarking).  Not only is it a great
application, it's gobs of fun to watch (maybe we should get a life).

        Cheers,
        Steve

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com