From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2006 10:35:24 -0700
Laptops are more difficult to work on than desktops. However, with your
background, a magnification lamp, small tools and a very organized work
ethic, they are not that difficult. Do not buy a laptop with plans to
take it apart simply to do upgrades. Ram, CPU, and some drives are
relatively easy to upgrade by only removing a couple of screws so no
unusual technical abilities are necessary.

You may be able to buy generic components and build a laptop, but you
are much better off buying a complete unit. It will work, probably cost
less, and come with some type of minimum warranty that can be increased
if you desire.

For any internal upgrade components, you will need to verify
compatibility. For external devices, I have not noticed any differences
from desktops. When buying new is the time to get what you can project
will be your requirements for the next 2 to 5 years before obsolescence
sets in. The only exception I have found is that some laptops actually
accept generic RAM and, if so, it is cheaper and easy to upgrade the RAM
following purchase.

Everyone will probably have a favorite make. I've only purchased well
known brand names (Dell, Compaq, Toshiba, etc.) because the risk of the
manufacturer being in business through the life of the laptop is better
than some of the lesser known makes.

I hope this helps you.

Tom Mayer

Richard F. Bolha wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I have experience with building desktop units. I want to purchase a laptop soon. Could someone please tell me, how easy they are to work on? I assume building your own is out? If I am correct, I need to check in to every upgrade that's compatible for the specific laptop I choose. Any suggestions on brand/type? Do you need special tools to work on them? I would like to know as much detailed information as possible. Thanks in advance!!
>
> Richard F. Bolha

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com