From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 01:13:11 -0600
From: "Richard P. Evans" :Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2001 8:34 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Hard drive controller problems & lost DVD.

> I need some serious help and advice.  I suddenly started having problems
with
> my DVD-ROM (couldn't see it) and other software.  Since I could not see it
> let Windows do search for new hardware and ended up with a mess.  Now I
see
> the DVD but it won't play them.  It works fine, or appears to, with
standard
> CDs. Here's what I see:  Under System Properties, Hard Drive Controllers -
> Primary IDE controller (single FIFO) with "!", Standard Dual PCI IDE
> Controller, and Standard IDE/ESDI Hard Disk Controller with "!".  Both the
> Primary and Standard Controllers list the "device as not present, not
working
> properly, or does not have all drivers installed".  Both also say they are
> part of a multi-function device (the Standard Dual PCI IDE Contoller) and
> can not be di
> sabled.  How can I get rid of the existing controllers and let
> Windows do a new hardware search again and end up with the correct
> contoller?  Could I some how re-install Windows 95 without losing my
> existing programs and files without having to back them all up?  I have a
> 13.6 GB hard drive to give meaning to that question.  Does anyone have a
> solution for me?  Has anyone had a similar experience and how did you
> resolve it.  Thank you.
>

> Sincerely,
> Richard P. Evans

Richard,

To remove the hard drive controllers you should boot to safe mode, then
remove the entries for the hard drive controllers and reboot.  If you have
an Intel chipset Windows should install the proper drivers for your chipset
unless you have a chipset that was manufactured after Win95 came out or a
VIA chipset.  Check the documentation that came with your computer or
motherboard to verify the chipset the motherboard is running.  If you have a
BX or VIA chipset on the motherboard then you will have to get the drivers
from a restore CD that came with your computer or from the companies web
site and follow their instructions for installation of the drivers.

Hope this helps

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml