From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Apr 1999 13:45:22 -0400
Actually there are many fine word-processing programs from that era which
will run just fine on a 286 PC.  PC Write from ButtonWare Software was
already mentioned by someone but MS Word version 4, MS Works 4,
WordPerfect 6 were all DOS based programs long before Windows came along.

And then there was MY all time favorite -- from Ashton-Tate -- Framework
II.  MAN, I loved that program!  Looooong before anyone even began
thinking about a GUI interface (That includes the MACs also) or
application "suites", Framework was utilizing "windowed" data screens
(only they called them...... frames) and it was a WP, spreadsheet, and
database all rolled into one piece of software AND it ran with as little
as 640K of RAM on a lowly old IBM PC-XT.

Granted you won't find any of those in a store today, but they are still
floating around at swap meets, yard sales, and flea markets.  Keep looking
and you will find some excellent software for that "old" 286.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====