From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 12:45:03 -0000
Hi, just a couple of ideas, but the problem may not be any of these:
1.I have had a similar problem in the past when the Ram needs replacing.
2.Sometimes I have been able to just 'reseat' the Ram. Try taking it out and
inserting it back in firmly.
3.On one occasion, it looked like the hard drive was going to need
replacing, it was showing bad sectors and failing miserably. As a last
resort, I fdisk'd it, formatted it, and ran another scan. I can't answer
this, but amazingly, it's now been up and running perfectly for over a year.
(I didn't think this was possible, but it happened, I had even removed the
drive and was set to replace it.). I have no idea how long it will last, but
for the time being it's working perfectly. (My daughter uses that drive
daily). I'm sure in this case, it was probably pure luck that got the drive
working again.
4. You didn't say how far into loading windows that it begins to freeze
again.(with my hard drive problem, it was failing at the format stage)
5. Have you checked all of the cables and ribbons to make sure one of them
hasn't worked its way loose slightly?
6. Have you got any other fans in the system which may be failing and
causing the unit to overheat? I had one recently which badly needed cleaning
and was becoming jammed.

Your problem may involve none of the above, but these are just a few things
off the top of my head that I can think of that may be worth trying.
Either way, good luck, and I hope you find the culprit.
Michele Sayer