From:
generalstuff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Jun 2005 16:18:48 -0400
I have an HP Pavillion XP Home PC.  I think the OS is missing something that
my Dell OS had.

Everytime I try to install either MS Office 2000 Small Business or
standalone Word 2000, I get seven (7) back-to-back "Error 1919. Error
configuring ODBC datasource: XXXXX, ODBC error 6: Component not found in the
registry.  Verify that the file XXXXX exists and that you can access it."
messages.

where XXXXX is replaced by (below) for each of the 7 error messages...

MS Access Database
dBASE FILES
Excel Files
Visual FoxPro Database
Visual FoxPro Tables
dBase Files - Word
FoxPro Files

This set of Microsoft Office CDs that I purchased (extra) when I bought a
Dell PC some years ago.    Is the XP Home in HP's (lousy) OS missing things?
(well, I know its missing things, but missing something that should be there
to use Office 2000)?  Can I put something in the registry so that Word 2000
will function correctly in HP's version of XP Home?

I can't remember if I had this problem when I put a "pure" copy of MS XP
Home in this machine.  I couldn't use that because I couldn't find (and
neither could Windows or HP) drivers for the "SM Bus Controller" (I don't
even know what that is) and the sound device that HP had built into the
motherboard).  HP partitions the disk as HP wants instead of how the user
wants.  To get a separate partition on C (so I wouldn't have to clone all my
many documents along with the operating system and programs) and to recover
the disk space HP's "Recovery Partition E" uses up, I had to Install HP XP,
delete a bunch of garbage, including Norton Anti-Virus 2002, Wild Tangent
(HP admitted that they "kept costs down" by selling space on my disk to
advertisers), etc., and then clone the HP partition C (no documents there
yet).  Then I installed MS XP to partition my drive the way I wanted it, and
then restored the HP XP clone to the (now smaller) C partition.  Then I
moved "My Documents" to the D partition on the primary disk.  Now I'm
wondering if I might have removed something that would have allowed Word to
install correctly.  MS Works was on HP's recovery and I removed it - could
that be the problem?  Oh geeze, I hate to start this all over again.  My
next machine will definitely NOT be HP.  Oddly, just yesterday, I received
notification about a class-action lawsuit against HP for the "Recovery
Partition" thing.

I'm not buying another machine that has a "pre-partitioned, pre-loaded" OS
with no way to re-install everything the way I want it, or to install a
different operating system.  Do any PC makers still include separate CD's
for the OS and software that you are supposedly buying as part of the deal?

I will appreciate any help you guys can offer.

Thanks,
AnnaSummers

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads