Date:
Tue, 6 May 2003 04:03:00 +0100
just a quick one.
Further to my last post,(below), I just restarted the system and got a warning message telling me that windows has detected that the virtual memory is too low and it was trying to correct the error (or words to that effect)
I have never seen this message until now, and wondered if this has anything to do with the fact that not all of the installed ram is being detected?
I'm running xp pro (if that makes any difference)
Just thought I'd mention it.
Michele Sayer
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I've already tried doing what you suggested, and I just tried it one more time again, but everytime, I get an error message telling me it's not a valid Win32 application.
I'm not sure what that means exactly, but obviously the system can't read the program, that much seems obvious.
I know people say if its not broken, don't fix it, and I do usually agree with that, but I'm getting an error message everytime I start up, advising me that "the patch for the installed cpu is not loaded. Please run the bios flash update diskette"
Also, although the system is working, I'm actually using it now to type this, I'm almost certain it should be working alot faster. This is an 800mhz cpu, and it's nearly twice as slow as the 450mhz I've been using lately.
The speed is the only fault I've been able to find so far. Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any other problems.
I could quite happily live with the error message on start up everytime if I didn't feel it was affecting the performance so much.
The board is a D1170A (fujitsu-siemens)
Cpu is Intel Celeron 800mhz/100mhz
I have scoured the fujitsu-siemens site looking for a driver & utility download, which I can't seem to find for this board. (I have not installed any drivers as yet  regarding  the board/cpu, and I'm assuming that when I can find them, this would make a considerable difference.)
Am I right in thinking this?
Is there a possibility that installing the drivers could eliminate the urgent need for flashing the bios?
This is the first (and possibly the last) board I've ever bought without drivers, and so far it's done nothing but given me problems.
Lastly, I did have problems originally with this board regarding no display.(It has onboard sound and video)
I was originally using the ram recommended by the manufacturer which didn't work, and it turned out that this particular chipset sometimes has trouble reading the ram.
I changed it to one recommended by someone (can't remember who) from PCBUILD, and the display is now fine.
I am currently using one stick of 128mb, but windows tells me there is only 64mb. Why is this?
There must be a problem somewhere, as it registered as 63mb yesterday.
Is there something silly I'm over looking? A setting somewhere?
I don't trust the manufacturers very much any more,as they've given me so much wrong information just lately.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
I hope I've been clear with my explaination of things.
Michele Sayer

On 3 May 2003, at 23:21, Michele wrote: about Re: [PCBUILD] Bios Flash Update D1170 M/B

> Hi,
> I had already tried what you suggested with the floppy just before I
> received this, as I was going on the same assumption as yourself, that the
> flash update would create a bootable disk, as I have noticed that the
> update is an EXE. file. I thought I would try it anyway, but nothing
> happens at all exept a message telling me that I have an invalid start up
> disk, replace the disk and press enter.

There should have been instruction on the site as to how to create a
flash disk.

Save the exe to the desktop and run it...it will walk you through the rest
about disk in the A drive. When it is done, you just boot with it in the
drive, make sure you have it set to boot from floppy first.

You will only run into problems, if you have a power failure, or you shut
it off for some reason. The bios will be toast, but you can buy a new one.

Don

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: