From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 May 2004 17:07:49 -0400
> Do I need to continue running Zone Alarm Pro 4.0 on both my laptop and
> desktop when in a hardwired or wireless mode?
Yes and no. Yes if your worried about malicious programs from "calling home"
from your computer, and if you plan to run server apps that allow incoming connections
on various listening ports. No, if you don't plan on opening any ports (software
ports that allow outside internet applications talk to applications on your computer
such as P2P software, games, and such).
> I had had numerous problems while travelling to get my Belkin Notebook
> Network Card (802.11g FD7010) talking to wireless hosts. After installing
> the router, to get my desktop and laptop to talk to each other I had to set
> up Client for Microsoft Networks as my Primary Logon, set up a workgroup,
> and set up File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. Now the big
> question. Will these same laptop settings work when i drop into the local
> coffee shop with my laptap and tap into their wireless network?
That may have been the problem in the first place. Without Client for MS Networks
as primary logon in Win 9x it tends to not allow acces to most networks. However
sinse Wifi hotspot provides various equipment, sometimes there a problems simply
because for whatever reason (even though both equipment may support 802.11g/b) won't
talk to each other--this is a common problem unfortunately.
Patrick Black