From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:09:32 -0800
On 23 Oct 98 at 15:54, Mark Rode wrote:

> The installed OSs are Win95 B on the primary active C drive FAT 16
> NT Workstation on the Primary F drive NTFS
> these two partitions are adjacent to each other followed by a
> Extended FAT16 partition containing
> two Fat 16 logical drives D and E
>
> When I create a primary native Linux with 800 or 900 megs of the free space
> it becomes hda4 and everything sets up OK
>
> I still have 200 megs of free space
>
> I then try to create a 100 meg swap file.....I get a .....No Free sectors
> available....message
>
> No matter how small I make the Linux partition or even if I make the swap
> file first ..Linux won't let me make a native and a swap partition...or any
> other for that matter....
>
> without the swap I can't proceed with the install

  Let's see:  Win95 primary, Win NT primary, Extended FAT16, Linux
primary.  That's 4 partitions, which is very similar to the maximum
number of partitions allowed per drive.  Won't let you create a fifth
even though there's space?  I'd say that's your problem.

  In general, I'm not a big fan of multi-boot installations,
especially on a drive that's "only 2GB".  Two different Windows
versions on one machine is not too hard to justify, but anything more
and I figure it's time to hit the garage sales for someone's used
486.

David G

                                  -----