From:
Dick Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:15:38 -0700
Guys and Gals,

Before any of you go to the work of researching and solving this
question, let me say that I have already solved it.  Or rather,
Google solved it.  Seems this is a more common problem that I
thought.  I had to go into regedit and delete the upperfilters value
and the lowerfilters value.  Doing this brought back the DVD to "my
computer" and a simple uninstall and reinstall brought back the
CD/RW.  Next time I will do the research before asking.

Dick

At 03:31 PM 8/6/2007, you wrote:
>I tried to run a CD today and the drive spun up, the lights blinked,
>but it would not start.  I looked in "my computer" and neither of my
>optical drives were shown. Hoping it was as simple as a bad cable, I
>changed out the EIDE cable which fixed nothing, so I tried every
>combination hookup I could on the primary and secondary EIDE cables,
>to no avail.  I looked at the device manager and both drives had the
>dreaded yellow circle with exclamation point.  Under "properties", I
>got the following message: "Windows cannot start this hardware
>device because its configuration information (in the registry) is
>incomplete or damaged (code 19)".  I then tried a system restore
>back to the earliest date available, as I don't know for sure when
>this problem started, but that did not fix the problem.  Any ideas
>on what to do next?  I would do a repair installation of XP, but
>without an optical drive, I cannot do that.  The system is a P4, 2.8
>GHz, Avit V17 MB running XP Pro SP2.  Thanks in advance for any help
>this great list can offer
>
>Dick
>
>         PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download
>                     visit our download web page at:
>                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>