From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 06:17:58 -0700
I'm at a loss on this one gang.  I had 2 FIC
PA-2000 motherboards given to me, no manual, and
thought I would play around with them.  I went
to FIC's web site and downloaded the "manual"
that they had available, made the jumper changes
and plugged in a Intel P75, 48MB memory and a
4.2 GIG drive.  I was told tha the motherboards
had been originally set for P133 chips, and they
have an AWARD BIOS.

First, it wouldn't recongnize the 4.2 gig drive,
even when I tried auto-detecting it so I plugged
in a 540 that I had sitting around and it picked
up on it without a problem. I formatted the drive
and installed Win95 OSR2 on it.

Second, the serial mouse locks up, either in
the 25 or 9 pin plugs. The mice work fine on my
other systems.  I ran The Troubleshooter, a
diagnostic util that I have and it saw both ports
without a problem.  Win95 sees the ports also,
even loading the DOS driver for the mouse said
that it should be there, but the mouse doesn't
work.

I've tried flipping the cables around on the
motherboard to see if maybe I had them in wrong.

I flashed the AWARD BIOS to ver 2.03(?) from FICs
web site.  After doing that, the BIOS config
said that I had 2 ports, but it changed serial 1
to COM4 instead of COM1.

I haven't tried the second board yet.

I welcome any and ALL ideas!  Let me know if you
need more specific information.

THANKS in advance!
Lance Kephart
Kephart's Korner