From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 May 1998 11:54:18 -0800
On  8 May 98 at 16:06, Qian Jun wrote:

> I need advise on network.
>
> the problem:
> 1. need install a network for two offices (10 km away, but belong to one
> company, that means the network must be ONE not two networks linked
> together)
> 2. total 19 users
> 3. between two offices, modem dial up connection is not acceptable
> 4. need at least ISDN connection between offices, (2mb leased line is
> better).
>
> Need advise on hardware and netOS.

  You probably need to talk to your local phone company, and maybe
ISP, and see what they recommend.

2.,3.
  I'd put a hub (12-16 ports) in each office and connect them with a
"backbone".  You can reduce backbone load by replacing each hub with
a "switch"....

1.,4.
  Although logically you need this to look/work like a private LAN,
take a look at VPNs (Virtual Private Networks).  Instead of a
physical line from office A to office B, you get a "private channel"
that goes from office A to service provider location 1 to service
provider location 2 to office B.  It's supposed to *work* just like a
dedicated line, but most of it runs over existing bandwidth.

David G