From:
Ken Hastings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 May 1999 23:22:07 -0700
    Have you checked the settings for the hard drive controllers in the
device manager?  It sounds like a problem with the BUS mastering IDE
drivers.  You may need a more recent version than you have on your computer,
or you may have the wrong one installed.  Even if there is no sign of a
conflict, the driver may be incorrect or too old for your hardware.  The
wrong or old version of BUS mastering software would most likely be the
reason the CD-ROM is not being detected by Windows 95, which is why you are
being forced to use "DOS" drivers to make it work in Windows

    I don't decide a device is "bad", until I know it shows the same problem
in another system.

    - Ken