From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 00:00:52 -0500
From: Mark Rode :Sent: Friday, July 28, 2000 2:08 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Color printer recommendations

> First let me thank those who responded to my new InkJet Printer
questions.

>   I have focused on two models... a Epson 760 or a Lenmark Z52. Both of
> these retail at discount at 150 to 170.  Reviewers like both of these and
> while the Z52 is a new model, wins in overall performance, and has better
> resolution 2400X1200 the Epson still wins the color photo contest.The
Epson
> also has a cheaper price and a good rebate which makes it a very
attractive
> choice for my needs.
>
> I have read comments about Epson InkJets on the list regarding clogged
> print heads that are permanently attached and problematic. It is my
> understanding that this was a problem with older models and Epson has
> resolved a lot of this. Is this in fact the case ? Can some one with hands
> on knowledge explain this issue to me. Is there a way to clean the heads
if
> they become clogged. Do they dry up easily ? Is this one of those printers
> that the more you use them the better they work ? Are their other issues,
> like print alignment with the Epson.
>
> I understand that cartridges are not refillable which is all right for me
> since I don't use my color InkJet that often. How much ink do the
> cartridges hold and how long do they last compared to a HP. Are they
around
> the same cost a a HP? I have a Espon Action Laser that has been very good
> to me but the one bad thing is the cost of the cartridges. They last 5 to
> 6000 pages and I have only had to replace it once but it costs 160 dollars
> to get a new one. Do the InkJets have expensive cartridges ? How many
> cartridges are there in a Epson ...2? Are there other Epson issues I need
> to be aware of ?
>
> thanks
>
> Mark Rode
> The NoSpin Group
>
> I am looking for a good color printer that is capable of printing
>  > out photo quality prints on glossy paper ... something my 820 could not
do
>  > even though it was advertised as being able to do. This time I do not
want
>  > to buy in the high end
>  >
>  > I really was not happy with my HP and would rather buy an Epson or a
>  > Lenmark in the 150 dollar range unless there is a compelling reason not
>  > too. Speed isn't important and it will just be for occasional personal
use
>  > when I want to print in color so heavy duty durability isn't an issue.
>  > However I do want quality output and reliability. I would prefer
something
>  > that isn't going to dry up if it isn't used constantly...
>
>  > Am I asking for too much for too little money ? Advise, comments and
>  > recommendations appreciated..

Mark,

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 700 and an Epson 1520.  I am very happy with
both.  The printers should not be turned off through a switch but turned off
at the printer.  This allows the heads to rest where the heads do not dry
out as quickly.  Both of the printers have 2 cartridges.  If you have a
windows 98 network the printers are both able to print from any Win98
computer on the network but will not work with NT.  I haven't tried Win 2K
yet.  I only use the Photo printer for printing photos so it is not used all
that often.  The Photo 700 is over 2 years old and still prints like a
champ.  Head cleaning for either is done through a utility from the print
menu and has worked quite well when I haven't printed for very long periods
of time.  I have never had a cartridge dry out in the printer even when the
printer has not been used in awhile.  Head alignment has not been a problem
with either printer and to be honest, I don't remember ever having to use
it.  If you are printing photos that you want to last, Epson has a new
printer out that prints photos that are supposed to last as long as a
developed photo, I think it is ten years.  They have 3 printers in this
category, the 870, 875 and the 1270.

Mary Wolden