From:
barry clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jul 2001 14:11:27 -0000
I am working on an old Pack Bell Legend 100 CD. The customer was having a
Windows Protection Error not when the system was booting into Windows,
but instead this was occurring after Windows 95 (1st release) was in the
final stages of exiting to Dos or shutdown mode.
Unfortunately, I went into the bios and changed a setting called Computer
Programming from Manual to Auto. I saved to bios and initiated a boot. It
started in Windows no problem. The problem occurred after I shutdown Windows
(no protection error this time). Now when I try to start the computer I get
nothing. The only thing I hear is the normal noise hds perform when
recieving power, and the monitior will indicate that is recieving power.
That is all that happens. After the Hd finishes
the electrical initialization everything stops.
I have looked for the obvious such as loose connections,unseated cards,bad
ram and infact I even took all of the onboard ram out and applied power
hoping to at least get the beeping to indicate that the bios knows something
is missing,but no warning sounds are present.
I need to know if it is possible to jumper the onboard bios chip to clear it
of it's current state and reset it to default settings.
Of course the customer has no MOBO manuals, etc... so I have no clue where
the bios chip or if this is possible.

Here are the specs so far
24 MB ram
2 HDs/Master 408 MB! Slave 200 MB
Chip: I don't know the speed etc....
Built in Video,I/0 ports.
SB Pro 16 with the 2X CDROM attached
No drives are hooked up to the 2nd IDE channel.
This is a real throwback for sure!!
Anyone have a suggestion on how to get the bios back up so at least I can
use the floppy drive for diagnostics,etc.....
I went to Packard Bell website and there are no knowledgebase,manuals,
nada available.

TIA
BARRY CLARK
MCSE