From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Oct 1998 11:41:00 -0500
PCBUILDers:

Has anyone had any experience with the following
motherboard:

FIC KA-6100 VIA Apollo PRO/100MHz Bus PII
Baby-AT with on-board audio, by First International
Computer

It apparently will fit into a standard Mid-Tower case
which makes it a good candidate for an upgrade
to one of my P-100 computers. These wholesale
for around $80.

Makes it feasible to do a motherboard swap out and
installing a Celeron 300MHz with a 128K L2 cache,
using existing DIMMs, for about $230 (instead of
buying an $80 ATX case; which makes a build-from-
scratch scenario more practical).

Also, can the Celeron A series with the 128K L2 cache
cache more than 32MB of RAM?  I recall an old rule
of thumb that goes: the amount of RAM cachable (in
Megabytes) is equal to 1/4 the L-2 cache size. Following
this assertion, the Celeron A could only cache 32MB
of RAM. True or False?  Facts preferred over opinions
on this issue, please.

Thanks, in advance, for your input.

Regards,

John Chin