From:
joseph marty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2005 10:27:18 -0500
I'm not sure why you scrapped XP, but would prefer 2k, which is, IMHO, a real dud compared to XP.  If I were you I'd scrap 2k, get the utility from the whomever manufactures your drive (WD, Maxtor, ?) that writes zeroes to the whole drive from a bootable floppy. Start over and install XP, which you already have, and which is far superior to 2K, at no additional cost.

alan smith <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Thank you for the reply, however, it goes through ALL FOUR boot floppys
>and into the CD to the install or repair option, then I get the nasty message.
>The CD is brand new, scratch free, and I bought it from a store that builds
>and sells computers, so it's classed as OEM and microsoft wants to charge
>me $150.00CDN for help and I paid $219.00 CDN for the disk. Two years
>ago, I paid $400.00CDN for XP, used it for 3 months and scrapped it. I didn't
>like the way it worked. Thank you for your help.   AL SMITH
>

>[log in to unmask] wrote:In a message dated 2/7/2005 9:47:46 AM Eastern Standard Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
>I bought a refurbished DELL desktop, P3  997mhz, 20Gb drive, remnants
>of Win98. I changed to 40Gbdrive, used eraser to clean it, and I'm trying to
>install Win2Kpro. I get to the install or repair, click ENTER and I get a window
>".SIF file corrupt or missing, value on the line in section [source disk files]
>with key "sp4.cab". Setup cannot continue, pressF3 to quit"...
>Is something missing from DELL because I changed the hard drive ??
>This is my first experience with a DELL pc. Very well built unit.
>Any suggestions appreciated.   Thank you,   AL SMITH
>Hi,
>  This sounds more like the CD drive is having problems reading the disk. You hit enter, and it goes looking for files on the CD, and can't find them. Is the disk scratched up?
>
>Hope this helps,
>Peter Hogan

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.