From:
Hugh Vandervoort <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 04:45:54 -0400
It's not easy to find info on this computer without the serial number.
The S4000 is not listed on the support page, which is often the case
with discontinued models.
http://support.gateway.com/support/supinfo/index.asp?pg=2&file=dt.html
It would be difficult to advise you without basic info such as the
motherboard, CPU and OS.
In any case, a 5 year old proprietary computer is unlikely to be a good
candidate for upgrading.
Since you seem to be willing to open the case, this might be a good time
to look at building your own. Take a look at Tger Direct's barebones
kits:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_tlc.asp?CatId=31
Free PC Tech has a building guide:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/New_PC_2004.shtml   (There are many of
these on the web).
Tell us more about what you want from this PC and how much time/money
you have to spend and I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

Lynn Kucera wrote:

>Hello All,
>I have a Gateway S 4000 series desktop and I would like to start upgrading
>the hardware on it since its getting on five years old. I plan to keep the
>original hd that came with the computer size is 30 GB I have already added a
>Maxtor One Touch 300 GB external hd and I would like to add another Maxtor
>connected to the first one which is connected to the processor thru a USB
>port, I don't want to have to have the second one connected thru my last USB
>port so I'm wondering if you could just hook it up to the first one. I want
>to add 1 GB ram but I'm not sure just what type of ram I have and I want to
>upgrade my CDRW this is the original CDRW that came with the computer NEC
>NR-7900A what ever that means, I'm not interested in upgrading the DVD
>player since I very rarely use it, but the CDRW I use quite a bit, software
>for it is Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. So what do you all think would be the way
>to go on hardware?

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml