From:
Jeff Long <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:37:28 -0500
Kyle, thanks for your response.

Not a good reason and it will sound stupid, but I was at an accounting
technology conference and one of the speakers (very knowledgeable) said I
needed a server after I had briefly described my system; in his defense, my
comment was made from the floor without a detailed discussion between the
two of us.

We do have a small office network and it works for us.  All data is on the
one machine and I backup daily to an external HD via USB.  I don't plan to
host my own mail server.  I want to move to digital records management and
have looked at several applications.  A support person for one vendor said
their product would work with a peer to peer, but was designed for and works
better with a server.  He said I would notice a performance hit when using
OCR. Their system requirements strongly suggest Windows Server 2003. In
moving towards digital records management, I am considering RAID.

I have no experience nor much knowledge with networks other than my peer to
peer.  Based on what you've said and a local consultant they sound more
involved than I want to delve into myself.

I do enjoy "making things work" but I might have to defer or forego any
enjoyment from setting up and maintaining a network.

Jeff