From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Dec 1998 10:39:16 -0700
At 07:06 PM 12/5/98 , Michael A. Wosnick wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I am having a baffling problem with my CD Drive. It plays audio CDs just
>fine, and some of my data CDs autostart just fine. But I have had
>intermittent problems with some of the data CDs that do not start, and do
>not allow me to start them manually (i.e. when I try to access the drive
>with a CD in it, I get an error message saying that the drive is not
>accessible).
>
>I know the CD is not defective, since I can get it to autostart just fine in
>another computer. So, there must be something wrong with my drive. But since
>some CDs work, and all audio CDs work, it can't be a universal fatal
>problem.

Have you tried cleaning the CD rom drive with a CD cleaner disk?

It sounds rather simple, but the small optical head in the drive will become
easily coated with airborn continents...  like lint, dust, smoke and so forth.

The cleaner disks usually are under $10 and I highly recommend cleaning
any CD Rom drive on a regular basis, (once a month or so).

Bob Wright  -   The NOSPIN GROUP
   [log in to unmask]   -   http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD  -  PCSOFT
                          PC-PDA  -   I-GAMES