From:
Roger Herbst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:58:17 -0400
I purchased, and installed a Plextor Plexwriter 12/10/32A CDRW. It is
set up as the master on my second ide port, with a Kenwood 72X CD Rom
drive as the slave.

The problem is this. When the computer is cold booted, the Kenwoods
caddy tray immediately opens up and only can be closed by manually
pushing it closed [ it reopens itself a few seconds later, again]. When
windows98 is fully loaded, I have no use of the Kenwood drive at all,
the light just flashes on the drive but the button that opens and closes
the caddy will not work. Of course, windows shows that I have only the
Plextor drive at this point. Here is the kicker, if I then select
"shutdown & restart the computer [ no cold boot] the Kenwood drive works
perfectly. The drawer doesn't pop open on "restart", the drive is now
recognized by windows, as is the plextor, and everything works fine.

I have tried everything I know, from using different power connectors to
even trying a new ribbon. I even unhooked the plextor, jumpered the
Kenwood back to master, and cold booted the machine only to find that
the Kenwood 72X cd rom drive functions perfectly. I am sure the drives
are jumpered right, the red line on the ribbon lines up with pin 1 on
both units etc.

What is causing the caddy tray to open up by itself on cold boots? I am
totally lost on what to do about all of this. I figured you experts out
there could point me in the right direction.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html