Date:
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:51:34 +0200
Hi Tom

If the printers you use are the normal dot-matrix type, I agree with the
answer given by David.  On the other hand, if you are using a laser
printer, it is possible to do this.  I have done it in the past on HP-laser
printers, and have tested the method on an Hp-Deskjet, as well as on an
Optra laser printer.  I have used the following codes:
Reset printer:  <esc>E
Switch Portrait: <esc>&l0O  (i.e. lower case "L" Zero and Capital O)
Landscape: <esc>&l1O

I have a whole list of codes, that can do different things.  I you need
any, please contact me off-list.

At Neethling
Cape Town

On 9 Aug 2003, at 12:56, David Gillett ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

> On 7 Aug 2003, at 20:24, Tom Glab ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
>
>> I am writing some programs in basic and need to send the escape code
>> to the printer to have it switch from portrait to landscape and then
>> back again from within the program. I have several Epson and
>> Panasonic printers but non of the documentation shows the escape
>> control codes for landscape and portrait. One Epson is C40UX and a
>> panasonic is KX-P2123.
>>
>> <Massive quoted material about XP Activation snipped....>

> You're trying to mix two very different generations of PC printing
> technology, and it's not going to work.
>
> In the old generation, a printer receives a stream of bytes.  Most
> bytes ared decoded to a matrix of dots which forma character and its
> surrounding space, and those get sent to the print head, one column
> at a time, as it moves across a row on the paper.
> In the new generation, "printing" is done by drawing to a virtual window
> in the computer memory to form the pattern of black and white dots, and
> then the dot patterns are sent to the print head without any decode step
> in the printer.
>
> In the new generation, landscape vs. portrtait controls the order in
> which dots are read from the virtual window and sent to the printer.
> The print head still moves back and forth and the paper feeds through it.
> The human is smart enough to rotate the printed page 90 degrees if
> necessary.
> In the old generation, landscape mode involved bying a wider printer
> version that could accomodate paper 11 or even 14 inches wide, usually
> perforated at 8.5 inches high, or using an escape sequence to put the
> printer into "compressed" mode where the head would move a bit less for
> each column of dots, resulting in 11 inches worth of text squeezed onto
an
> 8.5 inch line.
>
> Bottom line is that when a Windows print dialog offers you the choice of
> landscape or portrait mode, it's not going to send some magic escape code
> to the printer -- it's going to just affect the order in which Windows
> reads the dots out of the virtual window to go to the print head.  (There
> are printers where the virtual window is implemented in the printer
> instead of the PC; these accept commands in PostScript or (possibly)
> Windows drawing commands, not text characters and escape codes.)
>
> David Gillett

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender, and
Sanlam accepts no liability therefore, except where the sender specifically
states them to be those of Sanlam.
Enige sienswyses of stellings wat in hierdie boodskap uitgedruk word is dié
van die individuele afsender, en Sanlam aanvaar geen aanspreeklikheid
daarvoor nie, behalwe waar die afsender uitdruklik vermeld dat dit dié van
Sanlam is.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml